Educational Visits and Residential Trips
John Burns Primary School is committed to providing a broad, balanced curriculum for all pupils, and educational visits is a key feature of our provision.
We are committed to providing inspirational, real-world educational experiences for our pupils through visits and visitors to enrich and enhance their learning experiences, deepen knowledge and understanding and increase skills and confidence.
Here are some recent examples of educational visits that have been offered by the school:
- School Council – Houses of Parliament
- Year 6 – National Army Museum and Cutty Sark
- Year 5 – Leicester Cathedral and King Richard III Visitor Centre
- Year 4 – Morden Hall Park
- Year 3 – Stonehenge + Roman Baths
- Year 2 – Hampton Court Palace + Thames Explorer
- Year 1 – Kew Gardens + London Eye + Riverboat Cruise
- Year R – Hobbledown Adventure Farm and Zoo
Children in Key Stage 2 have the opportunity to take part in a residential trip.
The residential trip enables children to take part in outdoor and adventure activities as part of their PE work, as well as having links with PSHE, Science and Geography.
Whilst we understand that a residential trip can be a giant leap for some children, it provides them with the perfect opportunity for exploration and a chance to develop self-esteem. The setting for these trips might be a night at a museum or a three-day experience at an activity centre, where the challenge is to be more independent and support each other in an environment that is different to home. This helps your child to develop their self-confidence by managing their own care in a safe and supportive setting away from home.
Residential visits develop children’s team building, risk taking, self-esteem and problem-solving skills. Activities challenge children to take risks, work outside of their comfort zone and apply the school values in an exciting and varied way. The educational benefit of these trips is huge both in terms of their learning and social development, and they are always a lot of fun!
Here are some recent examples of residential visits that have been offered by the school:
- Year 6 Residential Visit - Summer 2023 - Kingswood Grosvenor Hall (Kent)
- Year 4 Overnight Stay - March 2023 - Astronights at the Science Museum
- Year 6 Residential Visit - Summer 2022 - PGL Marchants Hill (Surrey)
- Year 4 Overnight Stay - Summer 2022 – The Golden Hinde
Residential trips are only undertaken with the written agreement and approval of the local authority.